Thursday, July 8, 2010

film, food, futbol

Day 19:
Day 19: Montjuic Outdoor Film
So the outdoor cinema at Montjuic ended up being an American film, called "In Search of a Midnight Kiss" (Buscando un beso a medianoche).  An independent, black and white film about finding love when least expected.  Surprisingly I enjoyed it, despite the countless lovebirds surrounding us and the uncomfortable seating (gigantic ants up my pants?!).  I looked at a sign and they're also going to be playing Mi vecino Totoro later on this summer..!  But I doubt I'll still be here for it.

At work, I also finished translating all 35 of the company's project descriptions to place on their website. It was a bore.. writing is not my specialty.  One of my bosses also came in that day (he works downstairs in the store) and took me to the back meeting room to just sit and chat about the internship so far.  Luckily he has good English, so I was able to express more of what I want to obtain from this experience.  He said he would start coming in weekly to check up on me and see how I'm doing.  And for that, I am very thankful. :)

Oh!  I also bought my first pack of cigarettes on this day..
for Toni.  Not me.  I felt like such a rebel though.

Day 20:
Had work again.  Walking to work is fine and only takes about 25 minutes, but it gets so hot halfway through that I just want to take the metro from now on.  It's kind of cool that I'm starting to get used to the city now; I pass by the bum at Plaza Catalunya who always sits in the same spot, the poor begging woman who sits in front of the church every morning, and those creepy liquor store owners who never really do anything but sit inside the store or smoke outside.

After work I headed to Cherilyn's homestay to try to plan our trip this weekend.  Planning trips is such a pain and these European train sites are not helping.

Later I made the worst pasta in the world.  Can't believe I was able to make something look and taste so bad.  The grocery stores here don't have as much selection.. or I'm just not used to finding things in the stores.  I miss Safeway.

Day 21:
At work I was invited to go down to the store and sit with two co-workers who were discussing the lighting in an apartment they are remodeling soon.  Of course with my limited Spanish, it was difficult to help make decisions with them, but it was still interesting to observe the process.  I forget how detailed interior design gets.. there are so many decisions to make and I feel like I'm not quite qualified to make such decisions yet.  However, more and more I realize that I do enjoy architecture.  Interior design (dealing with furniture, etc), not so sure.. but I think interior architecture might be for me.

I came home and took a long siesta nap.  Woke up and tried to purchase train tickets at the station with Cher, but failed.  It was an hour-long wait, and we had to make it to our Spanish cooking class!  The class was more fun than I expected!  Our teacher was really sweet and worked well with us.  We ended up making very traditional Spanish dishes; gazpacho, pan con tomate, tortilla de patatas, seafood paella, and crema catalana.  Cher and I helped make the paella :) Fun, except burning hot oil splattered on my arm while I was stirring.  Everything was soo tasty.

Day 21: ¡Clase de cocina y los semifinales!

Day 21: ¡Clase de cocina y los semifinales! Day 21: ¡Clase de cocina y los semifinales! Day 21: ¡Clase de cocina y los semifinales! Day 21: ¡Clase de cocina y los semifinales! Day 21: ¡Clase de cocina y los semifinales!

Then several of us wandered the neighborhood, found a bar with a television, and watched Spain WIN against Germany (we had to stand outside on the street to watch it because the bar was too crowded).  I can't believe I'm HERE while Spain goes to the finals this Sunday.  Too bad I'll probably be knocked out on a bus from Bilbao to Barcelona when we either win or lose.  It's okay though.. this weekend will be epic. (:

Day 21: ¡Clase de cocina y los semifinales!
This was followed by a massive crowd in the city center, honking horns, and people running around in the streets.  ¡Viva España!

Day 22:
Thursdays are Fridays for me.  Half day of work, half day of siesta.  Today I was asked to build a 3d model of a staircase and try to come up with different handrail ideas.  I wanted to use 3dsmax, but I'm a terrible student and used Rhino instead.  The architect, Robert, at the office is super nice and came up to me just to chat when everyone else left for lunch.  I appreciate his willing to speak lentamente so I understand everything he says.  He also says that if I come back alive on Monday, he will teach me 3dsmax. :p

Today I will continue to rest up for this crazy weekend.  I need to pack lightly, bring some snacks for the long train ride, and sleep to make up for what I won't get this weekend.  As Stella says, "this could potentially be the worst four (three for me) days of nonstop traveling or the most Epic weekend Ever."

3 comments:

  1. yay for paper towel sleeves! 143 i la la la love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pass by the bum at Plaza Catalunya who always sits in the same spot, the poor begging woman who sits in front of the church every morning, and those creepy liquor store owners who never really do anything but sit inside the store or smoke outside.

    ^ lol i like that sentence

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bet spain is going nuts cuz of the world cup!!

    ReplyDelete