Saturday, July 3, 2010

everyday inspirations

Seventeen days have passed.  Starting to lose track of the dates.. guess it means I'm getting the hang of this!

Day 13-14:
These two days were jam-packed.
9:30-12:30 Work.  I continued to work on some designs for a bathroom remodel in an apartment unit.  I came up with at least eight different options, and showed my co-workers.  She told me to save the file and stick it in the network archive so that the boss could take a look at it later when she had a meeting with the client.  I honestly don't know if they even take my work into consideration.. it's hard to say whether they are actually busy people with tight schedules all the time, or if I'm just an invasive burden to them.  My boss also had me start helping them retranslate their website to English.  I hope this isn't what they plan for me to do for the next week because I actually want to do something related to design.
12:30-1:30 Metro to Rocafort metro station and walk to the university to eat lunch with fellow classmates
1:30-2:30 Culture class.  We learned about Guatemala and other parts of Central and South America.  I learned how unworldly I am.
2:30-6:30 Language class.  These classes were quite intensive and long, but I did enjoy most parts of them. Many times I found myself just staring at all of the students and realizing how crazy it is that we're all here learning the same language, despite our own cultural backgrounds.  The first day of school was a bit discouraging because we discussed our views of one another's countries.  Stereotypes were thrown out onto the table and of course, students mentioned "fast food" and "Hollywood" when they thought of the U.S.  While I knew I didn't really understand a thing about their countries (Brazil, Germany, England), it was hard for me to accept their views on my country.  Of course they recognized that I was a bit offended by their words from the look on my face.  After day one I think they started to get a better understanding of Americans, as I have discovered much about their cultures.  I was amazed how quickly I connected with some of my classmates.  It was a bit of a relief to know that sometimes -just sometimes- we're not so different after all.

Day 15:
Work, lunch, class again.  I left from class early and went home to find a best friend Cherilyn Mark at the dining room table.  It was quite surreal for us to believe that we were together..in Spain.  After all that talking about studying abroad and traveling together, we're finally here!  The day was spent settling her in and grocery shopping.

Day 16:
Got up early for a day trip to Girona with the other interns!  Our first stop was the Catedral de Girona, a beautiful piece of gothic architecture, and the old town beside the Onyar river.  It was a quaint little town; much more peaceful than crazy Barcelona.  We had a gigantic lunch with eleven or twelve different tapas + main course (mine sucked) + dessert.  So delish!  Afterwards, we headed to Figueres to visit the Teatre Museu Dalí.  Hands down the coolest art/architecture museum I've been to.  I'm so glad I joined the English tour (vs. Spanish) so that I could understand all the little details about Dalí's little secrets.  Usually I get bored at tours, but I wished the guide went through every piece with the group.  I wanted to know everything he was thinking about while creating these pieces.  He most definitely was a genius and I admire his eccentricity.  I couldn't believe all of the ideas and theories he was able to express simply through art and architecture.  After the museum, the wheels on the bus went round and round back to Barcelona.  Cherilyn and I went out for a nicer meal to start off what we call "the summer of our lives".  Sangria, paella, tapas.  Later, met up with Bing and Wayne (!!!) and a few other friends and just wandered Barcenoleta again.  How do I always end up there?

Day 16: Girona and Teatre Museu Dalí Day 16: Girona and Teatre Museu Dalí Day 16: Girona and Teatre Museu Dalí Day 16: Girona and Teatre Museu Dalí Day 16: Girona and Teatre Museu Dalí Day 16: Girona and Teatre Museu Dalí

No comments:

Post a Comment