Saturday, August 28, 2010

heart melt in granada

Day 47:
Granada.  Everyone said I would love it, and I did.  Cherilyn and I arrived and got a little lost finding our hostel, but we didn't mind being in such a beautiful city.  As you can imagine, I was snapping shots of everything that day.  The unique historic buildings, the colors, the amazing detail on every piece of architecture.  Yes, it was hot - hotter than we were used to in Barcelona - but it was only dry heat and bearable with our free tourist maps to cover the tops of our heads.  Our hostel, Funky Backpacker's, was extremely nice to my surprise - it was my first real hostel experience!  People were all extremely nice - not just in the hostel either.  This old lady attempted to help Cherilyn and I find a landmark in Rick Steve's.. not so successful, but the fact that she went out of her way to help us made me feel really good (and she assumed we knew Spanish!  score.)

Day 47: Granada Day 47: Granada Day 47: Granada Day 47: Granada Day 47: Granada

After our tour of the old town, we met Stella up at La Alhambra. Alhambra was everything I thought it'd be and more.  So huge, so much to see, such great architecture.  Mostly I was amused by the detail in every window, door, wall, etc. and how long it had been around (14th century!).  There's not much I can say that will explain it well enough, so I guess all I can do is post photos.

Day 47: Granada

Day 47: Granada Day 47: Granada Day 47: Granada Day 47: Granada
Day 47: Granada Day 47: Granada Day 47: Granada Day 47: Granada
Day 47: Granada Day 47: Granada Day 47: Granada Day 47: Granada

After killing our feet some more, we decided to go on a tapas crawl.  We went down a cute little street (forgot the name, ugh) that had tons of restaurants and tapas bars.  Our little "crawl" wasn't so successful since we were still noobs at ordering tapas at the bar.  So we just had raciones, which are basically larger  versions of tapas.  Eggplant (or aubergine), mushrooms, potatoes, so good.  Too bad almost everything was fried and/or oily.  We were so over fried stuff by then.  Nonetheless it was delish.  We headed back to our hostel in search of ANY fruit stands, but they were all closed by the time we were done with dinner.  Sooo lame.  Our bodies hated us, and we knew it.  We also walked by the small shopping alleys but they were also closing.  We pissed off this store owner by trying on dresses and almost buying them, but deciding not to.  Bummer.  Time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment